Skip to main content

The Pounding of My Heart

My heart was pounding in my chest and it felt like it was going to burst through my throat. Then the nauseous kicked in and of course I am on a phone call with a client. "Okay, just breath thru this and you won't get sick on the call." This is what I was telling myself. Luckily I was able to make it through my call without getting sick. Thank goodness! 

I woke up not feeling so hot, but figured it was just a case of the Mondays. As the morning went on, the worse I started to feel. Of course work was crazy busy and my anxiety was already in overdrive. Getting sick was just not what I needed. 

I decided to take a nice long Epson Salt soak to help me with my muscle soreness and nausea. It helped relaxed my muscles and the heat helped my stomach feel better, along with a Tums or two. 

However, while I sat in there I could hear my heart beat in my ears as it pounded hard in my chest. I also felt like I couldn't catch my breath. Why would I be out of breath, I was laying in a nice hot soaking tub, it's not like I was running or anything. My anxiety was just not going away, even though I was starting to feel better. I then realized that this might not be a stomach bug, but my anxiety and depression that is causing my sickness. 

We all have those days where no matter what we just can't shake it. Whatever symptoms you have, since they are different for people, you know how controlling this situation can be. This was not due to work or my personal life, as both are good. It is generalized anxiety and depression, which typically go hand in hand. Which in turn causes my compulsions and obsessions to flare as well. Fun times!

I need a break. Whether that is a vacation, camping for a weekend, a small get together with friends, or just time at home to re-focus again. I am still trying to get an appointment with a Psychiatrist to look at changing or tweaking my medications. Thank goodness that I am a very strong person and I won't break, I just need one. There is a difference. 

Having small successes throughout my day or week does help though. I like to feel like I have helped and made a difference in something and/or accomplished something. This is why I crochet, read, and volunteer. Crocheting gives me the ability to create something and I get a feeling of accomplishment from that. Reading lets me focus only on what I am reading and it stops the constant thoughts that are flooding my mind. And lastly volunteering. That takes me out of the "me space" in my head as well and I can focus on others that need something that I can provide to them. That gives me the feeling like I have helped others and accomplished something as well. 

I think we forget about ourselves way too much. I know I have said this before and I am sure I will say it again. But we truly need time for ourselves, daily, weekly, hourly, whatever you need. Taking "me time" every morning before work to drink coffee and talk to my mom or friends, has really seemed to help me lately. It puts me in a good mood and makes me start my day off with a positive outlook. Starting your day off right makes a big difference but don't let it end there like I do. I need to continue all day long; taking that time to walk away and eat lunch, going for a quick run, walking the pups to get the mail, doing some small chores around the house (remember I like to clean, LOL), or just playing with my pups and George the Cat. These things during the day will help you focus on you and make sure that you are getting that time needed. Tell a family or friend that you need them, and how much they help. 

With that being said as I end my blog for today; I want to thank my mom and my friend Sharon for being those two for me in the mornings to call and talk with. Thank you and I love you; those calls mean a lot, even if we don't talk about anything important. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peace and Inner Tranquility

There are several things that bring me peace and inner tranquility, hiking, kayaking, and riding on the back of my hubby's motorcycle. These are a few that come time mind right now. Today was one of those days where I had nothing but peace. We went for a ride up the Poudre Canyon and during those hours, I had nothing but peace. No OCD symptoms, no anxiety and my ADHD was not even in view. Only thing in view was nature, natural beauty, or God's glory, whatever you want to call it. I had truly found my inner tranquility. It was perfect, other than the few bugs that decided to cover my helmet shield.  If you don't know what this feels like, go find it! Everyone needs to have these places or things that give them this feeling. It could be anything from taking a long bath, reading your favorite poem, or book, or even just sitting in your favorite spot. Take it in, breathe, listen to your surroundings, and enjoy them. Don't let those thoughts, f

Taking Time For Yourself

It's so easy to speak out and tell others to make sure that you are taking some "me time", but following through with it myself is not so easy. I need to practice what I preach, so to speak LOL. It turns out it can be really hard to take time out for myself.        Every morning I am trying to get up 30 minutes earlier for "me time" on my back patio. I sit there and drink my coffee, water my veggie garden, and watch the pups run and play in the backyard. This is a nice time every morning to just relax before starting my day off.  This is typically all I can do for myself every day. For me cleaning typically is a relaxing thing to do. Yet at this time, I don't even enjoy that and I can't say that is relaxing like normal. So I actually have to set time aside every day, in sessions throughout the day, so I can make sure that I can "try" to relax and think about me. I am the person that will always be there if I am needed or asked to help.

Feeling Accomplished...Or Not

Ahhh! Accomplishment!! Doesn't it feel amazing? Yes, I love when I can say, "Well yes, I did that." or "Yup, I finished it.", but today wasn't that day.  Hours of painting at the top of a ladder, all for not. Yup, the color doesn't match. Second mis-tint in a row, fail home improvement store, FAIL ! Now mind you, I have a paralyzing fear of falling. (Icing on the multi-layered cake my friends of my mental issues. LOL) I could be 2 inches off the ground or 15 feet, like I was part of today.  However, I was still able to prevail. Even though I have to paint the areas all over again, and have to deal with that height again; I still won. Yup, that's right people, I still said I won.  Every time I face my fear of falling it gets a microscopic bit better. I mean barely even a noticeable amount easier for me. I am not looking forward to climbing that ladder again. To be completely honestly with you, I want to tell the store they need to come and red