Skip to main content

Weekend Getaway + OCD = Excitment & Anxiety

Long weekends away should be exciting, fun, and relaxing. For me it is exciting, stressful, anxiety filled, and exhausting. Don't get me wrong, I love traveling, but recently my OCD has taken over and controls my life more than I would like. So traveling isn't as relaxing as I would like, it is far from that. 


Our lovely friends are getting married this weekend up in the mountains of CO. We are so happy and excited for them. Plus, this is a new area to explore that we haven't seen in CO and are very excited. Hot springs, mountain vistas, and nature all around us!! Sounds perfect right, yes!! 

However, for me, I am thinking: shared beds, dirty carpets, germ covered door knobs, gross and unclean remotes, and god only knows what was last thing touching everything in the bathroom. Just thinking about that is causing anxiety for me and making me exhausted. Yes I know they clean the rooms, and this is a very nice place we are staying at for the wedding, but it is the unknown that makes me freak out and my OCD take over and fill with anxiety. It makes me in a bad mood. Nobody wants that on their getaways.

I am a person who doesn't allow shoes to be worn in their home, obviously. So in places like this, where I know others have worn there shoes inside, just makes my skin crawl from being so uncomfortable. I have to bring slippers to wear, and I make my hubby wear them too. If he were to get into the bed after touching the floor with his bare feet or socks and then touch the sheets, I would freak the BLEEP out! I would probably get angry, shake, cry, and even start to hyperventilate from breathing so hard. Full blown panic attack, which isn't the best way to end your day.  

He doesn't get it because he knows I am a smart person who knows how germs work. I know my thoughts are not rational, but I can't stop them. Then they start to loop in my head and control that moment, where all I can think about is cleaning or removing myself totally from that situation. 

I am trying cognitive behavioral therapy for the first time and I am hopeful. Every once in a while, I do something that shocks me. "OMG, I didn't use hand sanitizer as soon as I touch something in public!" I should own stock in hand sanitizer as much as I use it, I would make myself rich. LOL! 

Then there are others days that I revert back to my old ways, which means I have to start all over again. I am hopeful that I will get my OCD under control, which will lower my anxiety along with it. 

If you feel like you are losing control of your mental issues, talk about it. Open up to others, talking is therapy in itself. Get help and don't be ashamed. You are they way you are, you deserve the help that you need, and remember love yourself and others will too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peace and Inner Tranquility

There are several things that bring me peace and inner tranquility, hiking, kayaking, and riding on the back of my hubby's motorcycle. These are a few that come time mind right now. Today was one of those days where I had nothing but peace. We went for a ride up the Poudre Canyon and during those hours, I had nothing but peace. No OCD symptoms, no anxiety and my ADHD was not even in view. Only thing in view was nature, natural beauty, or God's glory, whatever you want to call it. I had truly found my inner tranquility. It was perfect, other than the few bugs that decided to cover my helmet shield.  If you don't know what this feels like, go find it! Everyone needs to have these places or things that give them this feeling. It could be anything from taking a long bath, reading your favorite poem, or book, or even just sitting in your favorite spot. Take it in, breathe, listen to your surroundings, and enjoy them. Don't let those thoughts, f

Taking Time For Yourself

It's so easy to speak out and tell others to make sure that you are taking some "me time", but following through with it myself is not so easy. I need to practice what I preach, so to speak LOL. It turns out it can be really hard to take time out for myself.        Every morning I am trying to get up 30 minutes earlier for "me time" on my back patio. I sit there and drink my coffee, water my veggie garden, and watch the pups run and play in the backyard. This is a nice time every morning to just relax before starting my day off.  This is typically all I can do for myself every day. For me cleaning typically is a relaxing thing to do. Yet at this time, I don't even enjoy that and I can't say that is relaxing like normal. So I actually have to set time aside every day, in sessions throughout the day, so I can make sure that I can "try" to relax and think about me. I am the person that will always be there if I am needed or asked to help.

Feeling Accomplished...Or Not

Ahhh! Accomplishment!! Doesn't it feel amazing? Yes, I love when I can say, "Well yes, I did that." or "Yup, I finished it.", but today wasn't that day.  Hours of painting at the top of a ladder, all for not. Yup, the color doesn't match. Second mis-tint in a row, fail home improvement store, FAIL ! Now mind you, I have a paralyzing fear of falling. (Icing on the multi-layered cake my friends of my mental issues. LOL) I could be 2 inches off the ground or 15 feet, like I was part of today.  However, I was still able to prevail. Even though I have to paint the areas all over again, and have to deal with that height again; I still won. Yup, that's right people, I still said I won.  Every time I face my fear of falling it gets a microscopic bit better. I mean barely even a noticeable amount easier for me. I am not looking forward to climbing that ladder again. To be completely honestly with you, I want to tell the store they need to come and red